FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

2020-Borthakur et al-Am J Hematol

<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:23 pm

2020-Borthakur et al-Am J Hematol

"Phase 1 Study of combinatorial sorafenib, G-CSF, and plerixafor treatment in relapsed/refractory, FLT3-ITD-mutated acute myelogenous leukemia patients"
Gautam Borthakur, Zhihong Zeng, Jorge E Cortes, Hsiang-Chun Chen, Xuelin Huang, Marina Konopleva, Farhad Ravandi, Tapan Kadia, Keyur P Patel, Naval Daver, Mary A Kelly, Teresa McQueen, Ru-Yiu Wang, Hagop Kantarjian, Michael Andreeff
Am J Hematol. 2020
https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.25943

- no dataset accession number given
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Re: 2020-Borthakur et al-Am J Hematol

The paper says "Unfortunately, the mass cytometry (CyTOF) studies were limited to two patients because majority of patients received hydroxyurea for initial induction rendering the samples unusable."

I don't think I've heard of an issue with hydroxyurea before: does anyone know if this is a technical issue specific to this paper, or a more general "you just can't run CyTOF on hydroxyurea-treated patient samples because of XYZ"?
<<

dtelad11

Master

Post Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Mike, could this be relevant?

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/chronic-m ... 20problems.

Because the main effect of hydroxyurea is to lower blood counts, anyone taking this drug will need to have their blood counts checked regularly. Other side effects are usually mild and well tolerated. Some patients have stayed on this drug for years without problems. Because the main effect of hydroxyurea is to lower blood counts, anyone taking this drug will need to have their blood counts checked regularly. Other side effects are usually mild and well tolerated. Some patients have stayed on this drug for years without problems.
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Potentially.

But I don't see that as a "can't run CyTOF" problem, in the same way as Gd contamination from MRI, or Ba contamination from a post-Xray gut biopsy. To me, hydroxyurea-mediated changes in CBC like that would be a *treatment* effect that you'd have to account for in your analysis. A parallel would be rituximab-related decreases in B cell count; an inverse-parallel would be high numbers of abnormal cells pre-treatment in Lupus or the various blood cancers.

Return to Literature