FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Survey on dataset sharing and reuse

<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Survey on dataset sharing and reuse

Hi all,

There was a thread about a year ago on dataset sharing and reuse: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1333&p=3791

I recently went back and re-evaluated things for the last year, to see if there had been any increase in sharing.

In short: no, there has not been any change/increase in dataset sharing. See attached PDFs.

Therefore, I have written a Google Forms survey on dataset sharing and reuse, focused on CyTOF, high-D flow (18 colors or more), and RNA (bulk RNAseq, scRNAseq, qPCR, etc).

The survey is broken into sections, if you only want to answer for the technologies that you personally use. The questions are mostly checkboxes, so it shouldn't take very long to fill out. The survey is also anonymous: no significant identifiers are requested (not even email address), as we want people to honestly answer.

Here is the link: https://forms.gle/NkF2yp1tB5yL3o9v5

We're asking for everyone to respond as individuals: please answer for yourself, and don't worry about your coauthors. Please let me know if you have trouble accessing or completing the survey (either on here, or in direct email at mleipold[at]stanford[dot]edu).

Please share this as broadly as possible. In particular, I would greatly appreciate it if any core managers could forward to their user base.

The survey will run from today (June 17) until July 31. Yes, the intention is to make the results public at some point afterward: I'm not sure what shape this will take, though, as we've had trouble getting journals to publish even a Letter on data sharing.

I would like to thank El-ad Amir, Lisa Wagar, Anna Belkina, Helen McGuire, Elena Hsieh, Lars Olsen, Joanne Lannigan, Ryan Brinkman, Bill O'Gorman, Natalia Sigal, and Cheryl Kim for helpful comments during the drafting process.

Mike
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Re: Survey on dataset sharing and reuse

Hi all,

As of this morning (Fri 6/26/20), we're at 87 responses to the data sharing and reuse survey. That's great, and we have until July 31 to try to increase that even further.

Here is the link again: https://forms.gle/NkF2yp1tB5yL3o9v5

To clarify: we want responses from *all* people:
1. Whether you *do* share data or do *not* share data (for whatever reason).
2. Whether you are a bench scientist generating data, or whether you're a computational/data scientist who never touched a pipettor or a cytometer.
3. Whether you generate high-D flow (>18 color), some kind of RNA (scRNAseq, bulk RNAseq, qPCR, etc), or mass cytometry (both suspension/Helios and imaging Hyperion/IMC/MIBI)
- note: the 18-color "cutoff" was chosen bc there is often a "break" in experimental design/complexity/machine model around there and it compares a bit more to mass cytometry and RNA. However, if you are doing fewer colors and still want to participate, feel free: there are several places where you can enter some kind of "Other" response.

Mike
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi all,

As of this morning (7/8/20), we're up to 113 responses. That's great, but let's see if we can get the number even higher in the 3 weeks remaining. Survey closes July 31!
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi all,

There's one more week to complete the survey: it closes Fri July 31.

As of this morning, we're up to 123 responses, but obviously the more responses, the better!

Here is the link again: https://forms.gle/NkF2yp1tB5yL3o9v5

Mike
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi all,

The Survey is now closed (12pm PST July 31).

I would like to thank the 128 people who took the time to respond.

Mike
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 am

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience on this.....the analysis and write-up took far longer than I had intended.

However, one year after closing the Survey, I've now released the Survey results as a Figshare preprint: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2622

Thank you for all who participated in the Survey, and the authors of the papers in the Literature Survey section.

Mike

Return to CyTOF general discussion