FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New WB injector and cell acquisition solution

Forum rules
It is fine to promote your company's reagents. Just make sure they are relevant to CyTOF, and do so in moderation and style :-)
<<

nkhanbham

Master

Post Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 pm

New WB injector and cell acquisition solution

Dear all,
I am sure many people are aware that Fluidigm has released a new sample acquisition protocol. It seems that the new protocol is good for samples as they don't have to go into miliQ water anymore. Conversely, there is more work for the service providers/operators as the new WB injector and cones all need cleaning potentially every day (or 12hrs of use for cones). Has anyone has tried it out yet and have anything to report?
Regards,
Naeem
<<

dtdavani

Participant

Post Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: New WB injector and cell acquisition solution

Hi All,
We have tried the new buffer/ WB injector method. Overall we saw improved signal consistency with narrower CV (signal spread) using the new WB injector and running solutions compared to MiliQ.
As Naeem mentioned though, the new protocol demands more cleaning. In addition, there is the added cost of the running buffer.

Hope this helps,
Dariush
<<

xiaoxiaoUC

Contributor

Post Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Daruish,

Do you think the new Cell Acquisition Solution can prevent cell clogging better compared to milliQ water. Do you know what are the components of Cell Acquisition Solution?

Thank you so much!

Xiao
<<

MattCochran

Participant

Post Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Is it really necessary to remove, clean and replace your cones every day or two? This seems like a recipe for disaster.
<<

BjornZ

Contributor

Post Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm

MattCochran wrote:Is it really necessary to remove, clean and replace your cones every day or two? This seems like a recipe for disaster.

For what it's worth, I clean the cones (at least the sampler) between every barcoded tube (so every ~4 hours, or 2-3 times a day). I gently polish with Brasso (amazon, wikipedia) and a Q-tip or gauze for about a minute, rinse with water and methanol, then replace, leaving the heater on while I do this. Total downtime between hitting the "plasma off" button and the "plasma on" button is under 5 minutes.

Brasso works way better than citranox+sonicator soaks. It contains ammonia and a very mild abrasive (safe enough to polish scratches out of CDs). Don't think it's sanctioned by Fluidigm but I've done it for four years or so without issue.

Doing these quick cleans frequently has been more effective than deeper cleans less frequently, and it keeps the instrument sensitivity closer to peak. I'm guessing Fluidigm recommends the frequent cleaning because of the salt in the new CAS.
<<

ErinSimonds

Master

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Zach, when you do your Brasso trick, do you clean only the sampler cone? Or do you clean the skimmer/reducer as well?

Erin
<<

BjornZ

Contributor

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 am

I do that trick on the skimmer also, with just a dab of Brasso and a Q-tip, avoiding pushing the Brasso into the hole so that you don't have to worry much about rinsing out the Brasso from that difficult space. As long as I clean the cones regularly, the skimmer barely takes any cleaning to keep silvery.

I have videos somewhere of me cleaning the cones. If I find them, I'll post them here.
<<

ssivajothi

Contributor

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the tip with the Brasso. A couple of questions:

1) When you are cleaning the cone and skimmer, is it okay to touch the tip of each with the Q-tip? I am always paranoid about going near the holes of both.
2) I am assuming you run full tuning after replacing the cone?

Thanks,
Santhosh
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi Santhosh,

1. When I've used Brasso on the cones (skimmer-reducer, or sampler, either one), I typically take a blob of the Brasso on the swab, and use the bulk of the blob to push Brasso up to the tip, rather than rubbing the Brasso directly on the tip.

When I then scrub/rinse it off, I again scrub the swab upwards toward the tip, not applying much force to the tip. If I do scrub across the actual tip (particularly of the skimmer), I usually just use the weight of the swab, rather than exerting downward force from my hand.

2. Yes, anytime you remove a part from the instrument (cones, torch assembly, etc), you should redo a Full Tuning: among other things, XY alignment may have changed.

Mike
<<

reginaharley

Participant

Location: University of Maryland - Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Has anyone else besides Dariush tried the new injector and CAS solution? I'm getting a lot of pressure from Fluidigm to switch but I'd rather have some real life data first.

Thanks!

Regina
Next

Return to Reagents for CyTOF