FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Reagents wishlist?

Forum rules
It is fine to promote your company's reagents. Just make sure they are relevant to CyTOF, and do so in moderation and style :-)
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Reagents wishlist?

Hi all,

At the Fluidigm UGM and CYTO 2016 in Seattle in June, there were a few talks and posters about standardization, QC/QA, and such matters. There were also a *lot* of hallway discussions about it, especially as more and more sites get started, and as projects get larger. I kept hearing a lot of the same things from people from all over the world, and in all settings (academic, industry, etc).

As such, I thought I'd try to spark a discussion on here about what CyTOF users think needs to be developed to further standardize the field and therefore increase robustness and reliability (and ultimately, confidence in the data we're generating). I would encourage people to list anything: reagents, hardware, software.....basically, anything.

In particular, everyone on the board who have experience with fluorescence flow cytometry standardization over the years, please speak up: we'd like to learn from your experience (good and bad!)

To help kick this off:
1. I think bead-based tuning would be a better indicator of machine performance than the current solution-based tuning. I showed at the Fluidigm meeting (and in discussions with several people) that the Tuning Solution day-to-day and between-machine differences are usually larger than the differences in signals from the EQ beads, which are themselves usually larger than signal intensity variances on cells (based on running separate aliquots of the same lot of prestained cells on multiple machines). Since beads seem to be more reflective of how cells are measured, I think it makes more sense to tune the instrument on them.

2. As a corollary to that: I think having multilevel beads (similar in concept to flow standards like Rainbow beads that have different levels of signal) would be helpful. I know from the Abdelrahman et al papers that the EQ beads can be made at varying levels of metals (eg, DOI: 10.1021/ja9052009), so there's not necessarily a technical reason why we couldn't have them.

3. Along with the idea of multilevel beads, having a CyTOF version of the Bangs multilevel capture beads (eg, http://www.bangslabs.com/products/flow- ... antitation) would also be useful. I have used the "815A" Simply Cellular beads, and they do work in CyTOF. The issue, though is Event Length consistency: since the beads themselves don't contain a metal signal, there is no "no-ligand"/zero bead. This also means that as you go down in capture ligand levels, the metal signal from your bound antibody also goes down which then causes your Event Length to go down (since Event Length is driven by ion cloud size which is driven by total metal content). Therefore, using default parameters, you "miss" a bunch of your bead events. Even if you play with the Event Length and Lower Convolution Threshold settings, it's still not as good as it could be. I and other people have had similar issues with BD's kappa capture beads, losing the lower signal intensity events.

Many of the things I've listed above are driven by wanting to understand how low you can go on epitope density (number of copies present on your cell) and still have confidence in your signal/data. I know a few comparisons have been published (eg, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jim.2010.07.002) but it would be nice to have the ability to see how individual machines are performing. Similarly, it would allow better investigation of linearity of detection at the low end: I know that I've seen a few cases where the ratio of spillover (say, M+1/M) changes if my M is very large (2000) vs moderate (200). Granted, in most cases if your M signal is in the 100s range your spillovers will be below 10 (background, in most cases, even without taking into account experimental artifacts with antibody cocktails, etc), but it's still something I'd like to look at further.

4. The above discussion about linearity of signal intensity across the range also has implications for compensation of CyTOF data (M+1, M+16, impurities, etc). If a spillover like M+1/M ratio is changing depending on your signal intensity, then compensation will probably be more difficult.

In terms of software standardizations of data, above and beyond EQ bead-based normalization, there were a few posters and talks at CYTO that were getting more deeply into this:
1. Katja Kleinstuber's poster in control spike-ins to each sample (recently published as viewtopic.php?f=10&t=543 )
2. From MD Anderson, Jeffrey Hokanson's talk on the CLEAN algorithm using spike-in control samples in barcoded samples to further normalize data: talk 129, "CLEAN Corrects Variations in CyTOF Sample Preparation" (not yet published, as far as I can tell)
3. From GSK, Scott Davis' multimedia poster on their CyTOF Studio suite software: poster 141/B4 "CyTOF Studio: Automated Classification and Analysis of High-Dimensional Mass Cytometry Data" (unpublished, as far as I can tell)

I think I'll stop there for now. :)

Mike
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Reagents wishlist?

Let me add another wish-list item:

4. Continuing the idea of CyTOF "Bangs-beads" listed in #3: ideally, these beads would contain one bead-specific metal at high abundance (like the Ce140 signal in the regular EQ beads). That way, the ion cloud size (and therefore Event Length) would be standardized, primarily driven by your Ce140 signal regardless of how many capture epitopes there are on the surface (and therefore how much antibody-associated metal signal there was).

The "815A" Bangs beads also contain a "no-capture" bead, so you have a "zero" level. I think this is important: for one, this would give you a "zero"/background measurement.

This kind of "no-capture" bead would also be important for another reason: currently, there's no real way in the FCS file cell events to distinguish "dim but cell-associated" from "there was a giant tire track of debris or over-titered antibody during acquisition". The first case could be low-expression of the marker or nonspecific binding, but we're generally ok with dealing with that.

The second "tire-track" type, though, poses a big problem: unless you're watching the Rain Plot during acquisition, you won't know if it was there. Since the "cell identifier" algorithm works by capturing the signal for each monitored channel within the time interval specified, all that you know after the fact (in the FCS file) is that there was signal there, not whether it was a tire track or punctate cell-associated signal.

The "no capture" bead would help with this: the Ce140 signal would cause the software to write the event to the FCS file. Since they wouldn't contain Eu, Ho, or Lu, the would be separable from the EQ beads.

Nocapture beads.pdf
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

From this "no-capture"/background bead event, you could look at all the other channels and see what the signal intensities were. With a well-designed panel and a well-processed, well-behaved sample, there shouldn't be streaking, and all the channels should be background/zero. But if you did have a question about a particular channel, you would at least have the information without having to go back to the IMD file and having to revisualize using something like the Nolan Lab's Rainmaker ( https://github.com/nolanlab/MatlabCytofUtilities ).

Knowing how often a sample has debris or poor processing, I think this is far more prevalent than people realize (though whether it's a big enough issue to affect analysis is a separate question).

Mike

Return to Reagents for CyTOF