FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Alternative sources for isotopes

Forum rules
It is fine to promote your company's reagents. Just make sure they are relevant to CyTOF, and do so in moderation and style :-)
<<

Jahangir

Master

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Re: Alternative sources for isotopes

AdeebR wrote:Hi Jahangir,

Most lanthanide salts are pretty water soluble. I've typically dissolved lanthanide salts in either H20 or 0.01M HCL to prepare a 2M stock solution, and then dilute this to 50mM working solution in L buffer.

Adeeb

Hi Adeeb et al.,

Sorry to bother you with this but I was just thinking of what you wrote above and I have a few questions.

I intend to order 100mg of the following metals from Trace Sciences:

- 113-InCl3
- 115-InCl3
- 157-GdCl3.6H2O

Now, my questions are, why do you make specifically a 2M stock solution? I mean, why not 3M or 1M or even 500mM? Is there an optimal concentration at which your stock solutions should be? And do you know what the shelf-life is for those stock solutions?

Also, would it not be better to use the 0.01M HCl solution rather than the dH2O? As this would prevent the formation of metal oxides? Also, does the pH increase (i.e. become more alkaline) over time? Would 0.01M HNO3 also do the job?

Lastly, with all those metals that I intend to purchase above, to make a 2M stock solution of, lets say, the 157-GdCl3.6H2O, I would need to add the entire 100mg of the metal into approximately 135ul (microlitres) of 0.01M HCl or HNO3 solution. Can I just confirm if my maths is correct? (knowing that I'm going to look like an idiot for even asking such a basic question) but the reason I ask is to confirm if it's actually possible to dissolve such a (relatively) large amount of metal into such a (relatively) small amount of solution?

Many many thanks for help and looking forward to your response!

Jahangir
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Jahangir,

Your math is correct.

I can't comment about the solubility (though this site says water-soluble to 100mM: http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.55406.html I can personally confirm 100mM).

Mike

PS: ChemSpider (http://www.chemspider.com/) is a good place to look for some basic physical information. Wikipedia often is too, though sometimes they just say "water soluble" and don't give numbers.
Last edited by mleipold on Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Jahangir

Master

Post Tue May 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased *100mg* of 113-In (InCl3), 115-In (InCl3) (both in crystal format) and the 157-Gd (GdCl3.6H2O) (in powder format) metals, all for the purpose of antibody conjugation.

From conversations on CyTOF-forum, I found it was best to dissolve the above metals in 0.01M (0.04%) Nitric Acid (HNO3) in the following volumes to attain a 1M solution:
- 451.5ul (microlitres) of 0.01M HNO3 to the 113-In metal.
- 455.6ul (microlitres) of 0.01M HNO3 to the 115-In metal.
- 269ul (microlitres) of 0.01M HNO3 to the 157-Gd metal.

Here are my results/experiences:
- the 115-In dissolved perfectly into the acid. Picture is below
115-In-min.jpg

- the 113-In was problematic. I tried dissolving it in 451.5ul of 0.01M HNO3 but instead of it becoming clear like the 115-In, it became a cloudy solution. So I add another 451.5ul of 0.01M HNO3 to make a final concentration of 0.5M, but it just became a bit less cloudy. Picture is below
113-In-min.jpg

- Lastly, the 157-Gd was the most problematic. I tried dissolving it in 269ul of 0.01M HNO3, didn't dissolve. I added another 269ul of 0.01M HNO3, again it didn't dissolve. So I doubled it again but adding 538ul of 0.01M HNO3 (the total being 1076ul = final concentration of 250mM) of 0.01M HNO3 and still it didn't dissolve at all. I left it for a while and you start to see the precipitate forming. Picture is below
157-Gd-min.jpg

So, I'm not too sure what to do now with the 113-In and the 157-Gd metal solutions. Shall I keep adding more of the 0.01M HNO3 solution until it dissolves? Or just increase the acidity of the solutions?

Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jahangir
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Jahangir,

In the interest of not diluting your stock solution even further with the dilute HNO3, I'd probably add a drop of concentrated (ie, undiluted) nitric. That would probably be enough to finish dissolving everything.

Alternatively, if you want something more controlled, try adding increments of 5-10uL of 3% (v/v) HNO3, vortexing after each addition. 0.04% nitric is pretty dilute....

Mike
<<

petrvas

Participant

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Dear All,

I would like to introduce you to www.BuyIsotope.com (company name: Neonest AB located in Sweden). We can supply alternative isotopes to use for CyTOF. Please let me know what are your needs .

Best regards,
Petr
<<

EHaasDFCI

Contributor

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi All,

Reviving an old thread here. Does anyone know what the metal chelating portion of the polymer used by Fluidigm for their 89Y-CD45 conjugation looks like? Any relevant information regarding this would be exceptionally helpful! As per Greg's post a few years ago, "I can confirm Greg's comment that Fluidigm uses a different polymer that allows more metal to be loaded per antibody for their 89Y products, and that's why their loading protocol is different."

If anyone has any insight on how this polymer may be binding to the metal ions, that would be great!

Eric
<<

anitamkant

Master

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:21 am

Hi Christof,
I saw your post while searching for Lowest Mass Isotope used on Helios.
(Not detected…but conjugated and used.)

Any pubs that mention the lower range from 75 to 89?

Thanks and Regards,
Anita

ChristophS wrote:Hi Jahangir,

the entire theoretical range (75-209) has been explored in our lab.
Some interesting additions may be feasible soon (the Grapevine has it that Fluidigm is doing their fair share of development with some metals, we focus on others).
We are preparing a publication but still have some work to do on stability and reproducibility.

Best regards

Christoph
<<

MarieIannone

Participant

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi Anita. At CYTO 2021 we presented a poster describing use of three isotopically pure selenium maleimide compounds (76Se, 77Se, and 78Se) for use as cellular labeling/barcoding reagents in live and fixed cells.
Marie
<<

Jahangir

Master

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 am

Hi Marie,

Hope you're well.

Is it possible for you to upload your poster onto this forum? As I was unable to attend CYTO 2021. Would be great to see the use of new elements in CyTOF experiments!

Best regards,

Jahangir
<<

anitamkant

Master

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Thank you Marie.
PreviousNext

Return to Reagents for CyTOF