FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Antibody organization

Forum rules
It is fine to promote your company's reagents. Just make sure they are relevant to CyTOF, and do so in moderation and style :-)
<<

AdeebR

Grand master

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Antibody organization

Hello CyTOFers,

This is a somewhat mundane question that isn't necessarily limited to CyTOF-related reagents: how do you organize, store and manage your antibodies? I'm particularly interested in responses from groups that maintain a relative large central repository of CyTOF reagents.

What kind of rack arrangement do you find most efficient to keep things organized?

Do you use specific software to help keep track of things?

Are any of you using automatic/robotic liquid management systems to prepare your antibody cocktails? If so, which system, and do you have an antibody storage solution that is easily compatible with/accessible to the robot (e.g., pierce-able septum caps, standard 96-well format tube storage)?
Adeeb Rahman
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NYC
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Antibody organization

HI Adeeb,

I personally keep my antibodies in order of increasing mass of the associated isotope. In order to help with volume calculations for making cocktails, I usually use Excel. I found that increasing mass order helped me avoid accidentally putting in two antibodies with the same mass tag.

I also use the conjugation date of my in-house antibodies as a reference like a lot number. This helps me keep track of how long ago I made something, and therefore check how much I have left and when it might start going "off".

If I have several cocktails, I prefer to keep each cocktail set in a different box. However, this can wind up duplicating too many antibodies. Since in most cases my cocktails differ by only a couple out of the whole panel of antibodies (say, 2 antibodies out of 33 antibodies), I at least try to keep the cocktail-unique antibodies separate in different boxes, or by separate rows in a box.

Note: at the HIMC, most of us still have panels specific to each of our projects. Therefore, we all tend to make or buy our own sets of antibodies. We don't have many instances of a common antibody on the same metal, to where we could make 1+ mg of a conjugate and split to share among the entire lab.

Mike

Return to Reagents for CyTOF