FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Washing Solution Issues

Forum rules
It is fine to promote your company's reagents. Just make sure they are relevant to CyTOF, and do so in moderation and style :-)
<<

desireeBCRT

Contributor

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 am

Washing Solution Issues

Hi,
we have some issues with our Fluidigm washing solution lately, it seems to clog the CyTOF. We discovered some tiny cristals in one of our bottles, that we opened up freshly. Does anyone have the same problem (and maybe a solution to the problem)?

Best
Desiree
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Re: Washing Solution Issues

Hi Desiree,

I haven't encountered this before. Was the bottle stored at room temp, or in the fridge?

I don't really have a suggestion, other than filtering. Due to the HF (even dilute), I don't think I'd use a cellulose filter. Looking online, it appears that nylon filters would be OK for quick filtering (rather than storage) of a dilute solution, but PVDF membrane would probably be your best option.

Mike
<<

eganio

Contributor

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi Desiree,

I would contact Fluidigm about this. The only issue we've had with the washing solution is moderate levels of barium, which is probably from the water they use to prepare it.

-Ed
<<

desireeBCRT

Contributor

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi,

I keep the washing solution at room temperature, once it is opened. However, now that you asked, I checked the bottle and it says "store at RT" - we had been keeping the bottles at 4°C before for longer storage.
We now started filtering it via a 10µm nylon membrane before usage.
Fluidigm has been contacted, but at least our techsupport in europe had not heard about it before. We have a second lab in germany with the same issues.

Desiree
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi Desiree,

Interesting. I'm not sure what might be precipitating, since HF shouldn't precipitate/crystallize at 4C: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_ ... iagram.svg

A couple questions:
1. Have you tried warming the Wash solution back up in an effort to redissolve whatever precipitated? 37C for 30min or so should do it, if it will redissolve at all.
2. After you filter it, do you see any decrease in some of the impurities often seen in Wash solution? For example, the Zr impurities down near Ar dimer?

Mike

Return to Reagents for CyTOF