FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PSI sample line leaking caused Mass Calibration to Fail

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

netgnomemom

Participant

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 pm

PSI sample line leaking caused Mass Calibration to Fail

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen but we had a problem with tuning failing yesterday at the Mass Calibration step. It looked like a gas leak somewhere in the front end, but it turned out that some of our tuning solution was not going through the inner silica portion of the PSI sample line and was instead going between the silica and the outer sleeve intermittently. Once we replaced the PSI line (after 4 hours of chasing a "gas leak") Tuning ran great.
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: PSI sample line leaking caused Mass Calibration to Fail

Hi Christine,

We've had something similar happen before. We noticed it because we got some droplets at the back end of the silica line (nearest to the PSI, furthest from the grounding nut). At first, I thought it was a leak from the tan screw fitting at that end of the silica line (where it goes into the bottom of the flow meter), but then we saw some drops come out of the silica line sleeve rather than down from the fitting.

In our case at least, we traced the leak to the silica line and sleeve not being pushed all the way through the whitish ferrule where it screws into the grounding nut. I took off the ferrule, pushed the red silica line flush with the end of the end of the sleeve, then pushed sleeve+silica line all the way through to be flush with the end of the ferrule (where it sits in the black screw fitting). Once everything was flush, we didn't have any more leaks.

Mike

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting