FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Service alternative in Europe

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

tomaskalina

Participant

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

Service alternative in Europe

Hello,

I am aware the answer will be mostly likely "no", but I dare to ask anyway:

Is there somebody (small company or individual) who would be able to provide a basic repairs on CyTOF2 in Europe?

So far, the quotes I am receiving from Fluidigm (travel + one day visit ~ 4500 EUR) will probably drain our service budget very fast, threatening our operation.
I just had a turbo pump replaced, we were up and running two days and now the interphase pump is dead (so another ~ 4500 EUR).
(my travel costs anywhere in Europe are ~ 500 EUR for one overnight journey)

There might be independent service for mass spectrometers that would do the job?

Thanks a lot, Tomas
<<

Chowduck

Contributor

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Service alternative in Europe

Hi Thomas,

If your facility has a service engineer they would be able to install the interface pump for you if Fluidigm could send a replacement (SOGEVAC SV 40 BI, Leybold, attached PDF). We have had several interface pumps replaced, turns out it was a faulty transformer that was sending the incorrect voltage to the pump causing it to overheat. Having seen it done several times now, I’m certain I could repeat the process in a pinch. The bigger issue here is what are the implications for the warranty of having a 3rd party or DIY solution.

Regards,
-Greg
Attachments
SOGEVAC SV 40 BI.pdf
(241.73 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
<<

vtosevski

Contributor

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Tomas,

Sorry to hear about your issues. I agree with Greg - replacing the pump is not a problem per se but it is the accountability for the DIY work done. I had interface pump exchanged twice now, second time I did it alone, Fluidigm sent me a spare one. From your post I assume you have no warranty and service contract in place? In pre-Fluidigm days DVS had the service outsourced, I believe. Richard Podlaha was the name of the person, he installed my instrument and did early repairs. Not sure if he's still in business, but I have his old contact, if you wish to explore that option.

Good luck,
Vinko
<<

tomaskalina

Participant

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for advice Greg and Vinko!

I am out of warranty for two month, unfortunately.
I will get the transformer checked.

Thanks Tomas

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting