FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Skimmer/Reducer Cone Issue

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

DKaufman

Participant

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Skimmer/Reducer Cone Issue

We have a CyTOF 1 and have gotten replacement skimmer/reducer cones that don't seem to work. Instead of getting good separation of our singlets and doublets, we get a stream. I was told that Fluidigm does not make these cones but they will test them before sending them out so... we asked for a tested one and it still had poor separation. Has anyone else had problems like this? Did you get your cones from Fluidigm and if so, did you request them to be tested. Also, how long does it take to get a cone from them? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!
<<

AdeebR

Grand master

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Skimmer/Reducer Cone Issue

Yes, last year we went through a series of 3 skimmer reducer cones on our CyTOF2 that didn't provide adequate resolution. The replacement skimmer reducers ended up being backordered, so in the end I think it took around 5-6 months before we finally got a working one, which was very frustrating. Thankfully, our field service engineer loaned us his service cone in the interim so our instrument wasn't completely out of commission.
Adeeb Rahman
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NYC
<<

DKaufman

Participant

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Skimmer/Reducer Cone Issue

Hi Adeeb,

Thank you very much for the reply. So, it looks like it will take a while to get a functioning skimmer/reducer cone. We are on cone 3 so may have to go through a few more before we find a keeper. Knowing the time and effort it takes to get these cones helps and I will plan for it in the future.

Dawn

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting