FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

iodine from imaging

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

sarahkj

Participant

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:24 pm

iodine from imaging

I am relatively new to mass cytometry. Just ran into a problem. We are at a cancer research facility and our patients undergo imaging routinely. Has anyone found a workaround for iodine contamination from imaging procedures? some way to remove it prior to sample processing/staining?

Thanks,
Sarah

Myeloma Institute
UAMS
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: iodine from imaging

Hi Sarah,

I know that iodine *can* be an issue in sample processing (the "Paque" in Ficoll being an iodine-containing preservative).

However, I'm not familiar with iodine and imaging....could you describe the issue in more detail? For example, what imaging agent is the source of the iodine?

Mike
<<

Ofir

Master

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:14 pm

Mike, there is one paper out describing this phenomenon in samples from patients undergoing a procedure where - I imagine cupious amounts of - iodine are used.
2016-Keller et al-Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, Significant Interference in Mass Cytometry from Medicinal Iodine in Human Lung
CyTOForum link here

I'm not sure about imaging procedures though.
<<

sarahkj

Participant

Post Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Mike,

You were correct. We use(d) lymphocyte separation medium and i think this is most likely the source. Have switched to ficoll-paque plus and added more washes. Thus far, seems to be ok. Still have some persistent iodine contamination (~30k DC in background) that i can't seem to get rid of but it is at a level that we can at least use the instrument again.

Thanks,
Sarah
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad you've figured out at least part of the solution. 30K Dual counts is still pretty high, though: Probably high enough to keep you from doing cell cycle work using IdU. You might try running 3% nitric (or a ton of Tuning solution, since it's 2% nitric) through your system: for some reason, nitric seems to do a better job than Wash solution at removing Iodine.

Regarding Ficoll and iodine: here's a previous discussion about it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=405&p=1291&hilit=iodine+ficoll#p1291

Unfortunately, I don't know of any commercial product that's free from Iodine preservatives. As in the link above, Lymphoprep (another common reagent) has iodine in it.

I know that the CyTOF group at Centenary Institute in Sydney had been testing some alternatives, but I haven't heard anything in a while. Maybe one of them will chime in with a reduced-iodine method?

Mike

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting