FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Nebulizer cleaner

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

AdeebR

Grand master

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Nebulizer cleaner

Has anyone tried using a nebulizer cleaner like the Eluo or Pearl to clean out a clogged nebulizer?

http://www.perkinelmer.com/catalog/product/id/n0775358

https://www.meinhard.com/index.cfm/prod ... lizers.cfm

The principle is that they allow you to push liquid through the front tip of the nebulizer to clear out clogs, which should work better with nebulizers where the capillary taper towards the tip, though I don't know if this is the case with the CyTOF nebulizers - can anyone confirm?

Adeeb
Adeeb Rahman
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NYC
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Re: Nebulizer cleaner

Hi Adeeb,

I know that the Nolan lab has been using the Pearl nebulizer cleaner for a while now, to clear nebulizers. The HIMC has started using it as well in the last couple months, and it seems to work well.

There are some times when we still soak the nebulizer in concentrated nitric acid after clearing it, but the Pearl seems to do a good job to clear clogs at least to get fluid moving through the nebulizer (and therefore you can get the nitric acid in all parts of the nebulizer). So far, we have been able to use it to clear every nebulizer that hasn't had physical damage (broken tip, etc).

Mike
<<

jimbomahoney

Master

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Nebulizer cleaner

Apologies for the bump to an old thread, but I found this when Googling and figured others might too.

I've used the Pearl nebuliser and it's been a life-saver.

However, it IS possible to break the tip of the nebuliser if one is too enthusiastic and/or it's badly blocked. I would guesstimate I've used it ~50 times and only had one break. I suspect it was because it was badly blocked.

It's also worth noting that the ELUO is also available from Glass Expansion (spotted in another thread), MUCH cheaper than from PE.

I've no idea about the ELUO - i.e. whether it actually fits the Helios nebuliser, but it potentially looks a little nicer to use?

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting