FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

blocked nebulisers

Forum rules
Please be polite and civil. We know that troubleshooting is vexing...
<<

lhung101

Participant

Post Tue May 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Re: blocked nebulisers

Hello Richard,

Are these nebulizers relatively new? Have they been recently purchased in the last year?

We also had issues with our nebulizers, that were recently bought earlier this year. In the past, our clogging problems have occurred before the nebulizer stage. However, with these newly purchased nebulizers, they have consistently clogged.

I am still not sure if it is a sample issue, or an issue with the newly manufactured nebulizer. I have asked Fluidigm to look into this.

Thanks
Long
<<

rgrenfell

Contributor

Post Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:09 am

Hi everyone

Bit of a followup to this

We soaked all the nebulizers for 24 hours in Contrad70, (not diluted)
Then washed and rinsed in water & this seems to have done the trick.

I'm guessing that the unblocking and rinsing we were doing didn't completely clear the obstruction. Perhaps there was a ring of baked on crud that still stayed.

So far, there hasn't been a problem with any of the samples now (crossing fingers & touching wood etc)

Thanks for your suggestions & hope this helps someone else

Richard
<<

marthabrainard1

Contributor

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm

Does anyone make their own syringes/tools to pull contrad/citranox/water through the nebulizer? The ones we currently use break very quickly.

Thank you
<<

ajager

Participant

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 pm

I have been using the Pearl Nebulizer cleaner by Meinhard (company that makes the nebulizers) https://www.meinhard.com/Shop-by-Product/Nebulizers/Nebulizer-Accessories/Pearl-Nebulizer-Cleaner-for-Glass-and-Quartz-Nebulizers/

Or their fused silica removal tool https://www.meinhard.com/Shop-by-Product/Nebulizers/Nebulizer-Accessories/Removal-Kit-for-ST-Type-Nebulizers/

I do suggest using caution when trying these cleaners for the first time. The silica can damage the capillary if too much pressure is applied, and not all nebulizers will fit the silica through the capillary. For the Pearl, I will use hot water or the suggested "Pearl cleaner" which is diluted detergent (like citranox or contrad) plus ~10% methanol.

Astraea
<<

JamesW

Contributor

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 pm

marthabrainard1 wrote:Does anyone make their own syringes/tools to pull contrad/citranox/water through the nebulizer? The ones we currently use break very quickly.

Thank you

Im quite fond of the Meinhart Pearl nebuliser cleaner, we still use the syringes for quick washes but if that fails we use the Pearl for more stubborn clogs.

Best,
James
<<

rgrenfell

Contributor

Post Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 am

We've only ever used a syringe to pull water/contrad/ethanol through the nebulizers.

Properly blocked ones, we soak in 70% contrad for a day or two.

Richard
Previous

Return to CyTOF troubleshooting