FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Debarcoding efficiency affected by 89Y oxide into Pd105

Forum rules
Please be as geeky as possible. Reference, reference, reference.
Also, please note that this is a mixed bag of math-gurus and mathematically challenged, so choose your words wisely :-)
<<

jcvillasboas

Contributor

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Debarcoding efficiency affected by 89Y oxide into Pd105

Dear CyTOF community,

I am interested in evaluating the effect of 89Y oxide on samples barcoded with the Fluidigm 20plex kit. Please know that I have no meaningful computer sciences or bioinformatics background (could not right or read a code to save my life). However, I do like to think of myself as someone with whom you can have an intelligible conversation about the principles behind these tools we use. To get started let me 1st explain my experimental set-up:

- Samples: PBMCs from 2 different donors (human): Ref1 and Ref2
- Panel: 29-marker (surface only) which includes CD45 tagged to 89Y
- Design: Ref1 sample was split into 2 replicates (3 x 10^6 cells each); Ref2 was split into 4 replicates (3 x 10^6 cells each). Samples stained (then fixed) individually.
- Barcoding: 1 of 2 the Ref1 replicates was barcoded (BC#5). 3 of the 4 Ref2 replicates were barcoded (BC#s 2, 3, and 4). Barcoding was done simultaneously with the Iridium intercalation step. Barcoded samples were pooled for acquisition.
- Acquisition: 3 tubes were acquired, namely, Ref1 non-barcoded, Ref 2 non-barcoded, and the pooled barcoded samples (containing 1 replicate of Ref1 and 3 replicates of Ref2)

*** PS: The barcoded sample has over 5 x 10^6 events so in order to evaluate the effect of the different variables I am using a small subset (8K events) of the same tube that was acquired for QC. Otherwise it takes several minutes to generate the plots. The following Premessa screenshots are from that 8K-event file ***

After normalization I open the barcoded sample on Premessa and found the following separation plot:

Premessa - Separation - Sep 0.3 - MD 30.PNG
Premessa - Separation Plot

My first observation is that the plot does not have the typical plateau which helps us choose the separation threshold. This is except for perhaps population #5 (the only barcode that contains 105Pd).

I then move on to inspect the event plots for each of the 4 barcoded populations. Here you find them using the standard debarcoding input (minimum separation of 0.3, no filtering by MD, which gives a 67% debarcoding efficiency):

Premessa - Event plots - Pop02 - Sep 0.3 - MD 30.PNG
Event plot - Population 2 (Ref2) - Separation 0.3 - MD 30

Premessa - Event plots - Pop03 - Sep 0.3 - MD 30.PNG
Event plot - Population 3 (Ref2) - Separation 0.3 - MD 30

Premessa - Event plots - Pop04 - Sep 0.3 - MD 30.PNG
Event plot - Population 4 (Ref2) - Separation 0.3 - MD 30

Premessa - Event plots - Pop05 - Sep 0.3 - MD 30.PNG
Event plot - Population 5 (Ref1) - Separation 0.3 - MD 30

I debarcoded using these standard parameters (minimum separation of 0.3, no filtering by MD) and uploaded the files on Cytobank to inspect (all the 4 debarcoded populations and the unassigned file).

I then proceed to process the files using manually tailored gate up to live siglets as I would if this was not a barcoded experiment.

Below are the CD3 x CD19 plots comparing the proportion of T cells, B cells, non-B non-T cells, and T-B doublets for each PBMC donor:

Cytobank - Manual Live Singlets - CD19 vs CD3 - REF 1 - Barcoded vs NOT.PNG
Effect of barcode on cell frequency - REF 1

Cytobank - Manual Live Singlets - CD19 vs CD3 - REF 2 - Barcoded vs NOT.PNG
Effect of barcode on cell frequency - REF 2

Finally I turn myself to analyse the file containing events not assigned to any barcode. Of note, I found could manually gate over 1 million of what look like perfectly good live singlets from the "unassigned" file. Here is the same plot. Please note the similarity in frequency distrubution this file has with the REF 2 replicates. For comparison I also included the same plot on the files containing all barcodes before deconvolution:

Cytobank - Manual Live Singlets - CD19 vs CD3 - Barcoded pool vs unassigned.PNG
Population frequency in "unassigned" files (compared to barcoded sample prior to deconvolution)

What I believe is happening is that the higher background on 105Pd is preferentially excluding events from barcodes that do not contain 105Pd (BC#2, BC#3, BC#4). What ends up happening is that the CD45_89Y oxide into 105Pd ends up being read as the 4th barcode isotope in those samples and they end up being excluded because they end up have a minimum barcode distance below the set threshold. This does not happen with the samples barcoded with BC#5 because that particular barcode has 105Pd in its combination.

I am obviously concerned with the debarcoding efficiency but also (and more importantly) I am concerned that this is introducing bias in the population frequencies. That is because T and B cells normally have a higher CD45 expression (and consequently a higher background on 105Pd in the case of my experiment) than NK cells. If I am understanding this correctly they (T and B cells) would have shorter BC separations and would therefore be more likely to be left unassigned compared to an NK cell event. This to me would be a very concerning bias to introduce.

Sorry for the long post but I have been giving this some thought for a while. My questions for the community are the following:

1. Does this make sense?

2. Assuming I want to keep CD45_89Y in my panel is there a way to prevent this from happening?

3. Would trying to increase the Pd BC median intensity (by adding the BC overnight with IR intercalation as opposed to 30min on the day of acquisition) potentially help by increasing the separation distance between the true barcode and the 105Pd background?

4. If this cannot be fixed on the experimental side, would it help to be less stringent with the minimum separation parameter and try to filter out unwanted events using Mahlanobis distance?

5. Any other suggestions?
<<

AdeebR

Grand master

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Re: Debarcoding efficiency affected by 89Y oxide into Pd105

Hi JC,

This is an interesting observation. For reasons such as these, I strongly advocate against using a fixed BC threshold separation for a given experiment and to instead use the zunderlab version of the debarcoder, which exports all events and assigns BC separation and MD on a per cell basis in each file. Based on this, you can set custom thresholding for each sample in a given barcode pool, and can also take into account population-specific differences in BC intensity or background. This takes significantly more time and effort than just demultiplexing files based on a fixed threshold, but I think ultimately results in better per-sample cell recovery and less population bias.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27897009
https://github.com/zunderlab

Hope that helps,

Adeeb
Adeeb Rahman
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NYC
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi JC,

Could you show us what your BC channels look like in both the Combined sample vs the Debarcoded samples? Either as individual histograms or as combinations of bivariates.....that would help us rule out other issues like odd staining intensities due to debris, etc, since the BC was done after all other staining (except Ir) was complete. We have seen cases where sample quality has affected the resolution of even the Fluidigm BC kit.

During acquisition, was there any streaking in the BC channels?

For Premessa, yes, I often use settings different than the default when debarcoding: part of this is because I'm usually doing antibody-based BC (CD45, etc) which generally isn't as bright as the Fluidigm BCs.

Mike
<<

AdeebR

Grand master

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Also, we've found that adequate permeabilization is an important factor in determining barcode staining intensity. The Pd barcodes seem to need a slightly higher concentration of saponin than Ir for good staining. When co-staining Ir and Pd BC together, we are now typically using 0.08% saponin in 2.4% formaldehyde, and this is giving us much better BC staining that when we were previously using 0.02% saponin.
Adeeb Rahman
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NYC
<<

GregBehbehani

Master

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi JC,

What you're saying definitely makes perfect sense. I have seen this before, but with Rachel Finck's version of the debarcoder we hadn't had any problems (I had assumed that this was because each barcode channel was separately 0 to 1 normalized), but regardless and to echo Adeeb's point, I suspect you could just solve this by using a different debarcoder.

Alternatively, you can just manually apply a compensation for the ~2% spillover from 89 into 105 before you debarcode (this is easily done manually in Cytobank or any other flow software). This will create some negative values on the 105 channel (so it might not be ideal if you use software that does perform a 0 to 1 normalization), but it should work just fine. I have tried this for the expected 104 --> 105 spillover, but with Rachel's debarcoder it didn't really help much (since it already worked fine without doing it).

I would not mess with the physical barcoding reagents.

As to Adeeb's point about saponin, I would just point out that every lot of saponin is a bit different (something I didn't really realize when we wrote the partial perm barcode paper), so you may need to titrate for your specific lot of saponin. If you do go higher, be aware that some Fluidigm antibodies still come with a different metal polymer that will non-specifically interact with some lots of saponin. Fluidigm tests their saponin reagents for this to be sure it isn't happening, but if you make your own saponin reagents, you will have to watch out for it. Also, once you get close to 0.1% saponin antibodies can start staining intracellular proteins, which may or may not be a problem for your experiment.

Best of luck,

Greg
<<

jcvillasboas

Contributor

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:37 pm

AdeebR wrote:Hi JC,

This is an interesting observation. For reasons such as these, I strongly advocate against using a fixed BC threshold separation for a given experiment and to instead use the zunderlab version of the debarcoder, which exports all events and assigns BC separation and MD on a per cell basis in each file. Based on this, you can set custom thresholding for each sample in a given barcode pool, and can also take into account population-specific differences in BC intensity or background. This takes significantly more time and effort than just demultiplexing files based on a fixed threshold, but I think ultimately results in better per-sample cell recovery and less population bias.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27897009
https://github.com/zunderlab

Hope that helps,

Adeeb

Thank you very much Adeeb. I will give the Zunder tool a try. It does sound like the best way to debarcode samples.
<<

jcvillasboas

Contributor

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

mleipold wrote:Hi JC,

Could you show us what your BC channels look like in both the Combined sample vs the Debarcoded samples? Either as individual histograms or as combinations of bivariates.....that would help us rule out other issues like odd staining intensities due to debris, etc, since the BC was done after all other staining (except Ir) was complete. We have seen cases where sample quality has affected the resolution of even the Fluidigm BC kit.

During acquisition, was there any streaking in the BC channels?

For Premessa, yes, I often use settings different than the default when debarcoding: part of this is because I'm usually doing antibody-based BC (CD45, etc) which generally isn't as bright as the Fluidigm BCs.

Mike

Thank you for your reply Mike. Below is the PDF with the plots. I don't see a significant amount of background on Pd channels except for the 105Pd. Let me know your thoughts.

As for streaking on Pd channels the answer is no. We do have streaking in the iodine channel (which I have always assumed to be related to the Ficoll but that is a topic for another thread).

Also, here is the same analysis on the debarcoded files:

<<

jcvillasboas

Contributor

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:02 pm

GregBehbehani wrote:Hi JC,

What you're saying definitely makes perfect sense. I have seen this before, but with Rachel Finck's version of the debarcoder we hadn't had any problems (I had assumed that this was because each barcode channel was separately 0 to 1 normalized), but regardless and to echo Adeeb's point, I suspect you could just solve this by using a different debarcoder.

Alternatively, you can just manually apply a compensation for the ~2% spillover from 89 into 105 before you debarcode (this is easily done manually in Cytobank or any other flow software). This will create some negative values on the 105 channel (so it might not be ideal if you use software that does perform a 0 to 1 normalization), but it should work just fine. I have tried this for the expected 104 --> 105 spillover, but with Rachel's debarcoder it didn't really help much (since it already worked fine without doing it).

I would not mess with the physical barcoding reagents.

As to Adeeb's point about saponin, I would just point out that every lot of saponin is a bit different (something I didn't really realize when we wrote the partial perm barcode paper), so you may need to titrate for your specific lot of saponin. If you do go higher, be aware that some Fluidigm antibodies still come with a different metal polymer that will non-specifically interact with some lots of saponin. Fluidigm tests their saponin reagents for this to be sure it isn't happening, but if you make your own saponin reagents, you will have to watch out for it. Also, once you get close to 0.1% saponin antibodies can start staining intracellular proteins, which may or may not be a problem for your experiment.

Best of luck,

Greg

Thank you Greg. I will try to solve this on the post-acquisition end by using the Zungerlab debarcoder. Also, I will be evaluating an alternative debarcoding system that El-ad Amir developed for Astrolabe Diagnostics. I will be happy to share those results here as soon as I have them.
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi JC,

Thanks for those PDFs.

If I understand your original post correctly, you used Fluidigm:
BC2: 102/104/ /106
BC3: 102/104/ / /108
BC4: 102/104/ / / /110
BC5: 102/ /105/106

The first thing that I notice about the first PDF (non-barcoded vs barcoded sample) is that the 105 signal in your REF1 and REF2 (non-barcoded) sample barely goes above 1e1. As you says, in your BC sample, the 105pos signal is at least a full log above that, so I'm not sure that 89Y+O16 oxide is having much effect here.

The second thing I notice is that your 104 and 106 plots in particular have a weird smear: there aren't 2 clearly defined populations like in the 105 or 110, or even the 108. The 102 is a bit smeary, but since all of the BCs you used contain 102, there's no 102neg population to really determine resolution.

How many times did you wash your samples after the BC+Ir step? With the resolution issues mentioned above, I wonder if there's a slight bit of barcode scrambling. Or, BC efficiency (perhaps related to the perm issues Adeeb and Greg mentioned): all your BCs have 102, yet there's a difference in 102 signal between REF2-BC2 and REF1-BC5 in the "debarcoded files" PDF. I'm not sure I would expect that difference to mess up a single-cell-debarcoder the same way it would screw up a Boolean debarcoder, though.

Have you tried dropping your MinSep from 0.3 (default) down to 0.2 or 0.1 and seeing how it changes your debarcoding efficiency (ie, how much it decreases your Unassigned)? Looking at the "debarcoded files" PDF, I definitely agree with your first post that several of the channels have remaining Pos events in the "Unassigned" plots.

Finally: how fast (events/sec, TC20 concentration, etc) did you run these samples? Remember, Unassigned is where all the non-BC stuff winds up, both debris "too few" (<3) channels as well as doublet/multiplet "too many" (4+) channels......you might just have a bunch of doublets? This is one area where Boolean deconvolution might help disintinguish "too few" from "too many" (like Fig 3D in the first Mei et al: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1402661)

Mike
<<

jcvillasboas

Contributor

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:36 am

mleipold wrote:Hi JC,

Thanks for those PDFs.

If I understand your original post correctly, you used Fluidigm:
BC2: 102/104/ /106
BC3: 102/104/ / /108
BC4: 102/104/ / / /110
BC5: 102/ /105/106

The first thing that I notice about the first PDF (non-barcoded vs barcoded sample) is that the 105 signal in your REF1 and REF2 (non-barcoded) sample barely goes above 1e1. As you says, in your BC sample, the 105pos signal is at least a full log above that, so I'm not sure that 89Y+O16 oxide is having much effect here.

The second thing I notice is that your 104 and 106 plots in particular have a weird smear: there aren't 2 clearly defined populations like in the 105 or 110, or even the 108. The 102 is a bit smeary, but since all of the BCs you used contain 102, there's no 102neg population to really determine resolution.

How many times did you wash your samples after the BC+Ir step? With the resolution issues mentioned above, I wonder if there's a slight bit of barcode scrambling. Or, BC efficiency (perhaps related to the perm issues Adeeb and Greg mentioned): all your BCs have 102, yet there's a difference in 102 signal between REF2-BC2 and REF1-BC5 in the "debarcoded files" PDF. I'm not sure I would expect that difference to mess up a single-cell-debarcoder the same way it would screw up a Boolean debarcoder, though.

Have you tried dropping your MinSep from 0.3 (default) down to 0.2 or 0.1 and seeing how it changes your debarcoding efficiency (ie, how much it decreases your Unassigned)? Looking at the "debarcoded files" PDF, I definitely agree with your first post that several of the channels have remaining Pos events in the "Unassigned" plots.

Finally: how fast (events/sec, TC20 concentration, etc) did you run these samples? Remember, Unassigned is where all the non-BC stuff winds up, both debris "too few" (<3) channels as well as doublet/multiplet "too many" (4+) channels......you might just have a bunch of doublets? This is one area where Boolean deconvolution might help disintinguish "too few" from "too many" (like Fig 3D in the first Mei et al: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1402661)

Mike

Thank again Mike.

Yes, the barcode key you posted is correct.

I see what you are saying about 104/106. I am wondering if the normalization process could have something to do with this. I will inspect the raw files.

We washed the cells twice before pooling. I am also concerned with barcoding efficiency since we use the standard Fix/Perm buffer which may not be enough for barcoding as Adeeb mentioned.

Dropping the MinSep to 0.1 increases my debarcoding efficiency to 88% and mostly due to increase recovery from the population#2 (102/104/106).

We run our samples pretty slow ( around 250-300 events/sec). Looking at my CD3 vs CD19 plot it does not seem to me I have an higher doublet rate after applying the same manually tailored gate scheme I did with the "assigned" files.
Next

Return to CyTOF data analysis