FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Poll - Literature postings interest level

Poll ended at Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:32 pm

Should the Literature subforum continue?

Yes, keeping posting all papers regardless of year of publication
86%
Yes, but only interested in papers after 2022 (don't post backfill)
14%
No, stop posting papers in Literature
No votes

Total votes : 28
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:32 pm

Poll - Literature postings interest level

Hi all,

The Resources/Literature subforum has historically been an effort to maintain an archive of all CyTOF/IMC/MIBI papers. It was originally started when there were a lot fewer papers, and a lot fewer researchers in the field.

We're now just short of 3000 topics (papers). With the growth of the field and the backfilling I've been doing recently, I wanted to ask: how interested are people in the Literature subforum? Is it useful, or has it reached a point where it's overwhelming the forum and your inbox? As I mentioned yesterday, there are ways to adjust your account settings so that you receive one post a day or week. You can also go into User Control Panel/Digests/Forum Selection and uncheck boxes you're not interested in (see attached screenshot).

But if there's minimal interest among Cytoforum users in the Literature, then it may be time to stop posting.

I have attached a Poll to this post that will run for 7 days. There are 3 options about Literature going forward (you can only select one):

Yes, keeping posting all papers regardless of year of publication
Yes, but only interested in papers after 2022 (don't post backfill)
No, entirely stop posting papers in Literature

Please vote!

Mike
Attachments
Cytoforum-Digest-Forum selections.png
Cytoforum-Digest-Forum selections.png (131.21 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
<<

RuthCyTOF

Participant

Post Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:46 pm

Re: Poll - Literature postings interest level

The literature survey is an outstanding contribution to the CyTOF community and I and my colleagues are very grateful to Mike for this effort. Please vote!
<<

NikPaschal

Participant

Location: Mass Cytometry-CyTOF Lab, Biomedical Research Foundation Academy of Athens (BRFAA), Athens, Greece.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:28 pm

regardless of the result of this poll, I also want to express my gratitude for your efforts Mike.

Thanks a lot!

Nikos
-----------------------------------------
Nikolaos Paschalidis, Ph.D. 8-)
CyTOF Lab, BRFAA, Greece.
:arrow: https://www.brfaacytoflab.com/
npaschal@bioacademy.gr
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nikolaos-pa ... /a5/b5/b9b
<<

TomerWeizmann

Contributor

Post Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 pm

I constantly review the lliterature postings and share them with the relevant users of our core facility. This has always been a very valuable resource for us.
Thank you, and please keep up the excellent work and sharing Mike!
Dr. Tomer-Meir Salame
Head, Mass Cytometry Unit
Life Sciences Core Facilities
Weizmann Institute of Science
E-mail: tomer-meir.salame@weizmann.ac.il
https://www.weizmann.ac.il/LS_CoreFacil ... etry/about
<<

JamesW

Contributor

Post Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:31 am

I have also found this literature posting to be very helpful and am very grateful to Mike for his work in maintaining it. Its part of the reason I direct CyTOF users at my institute to Cytoforum as an important resource.
<<

roexx078

Participant

Post Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:22 pm

@Mike, I'd like to echo and amplify everyone's appreciation of your efforts maintaining the lit postings. Having the options for alerts directly to my inbox has been tremendously helpful in keeping me abreast of publications while am busy with the core.

On a another selfish note: The day I saw MY name in the alert for a Cytoforum post was one of the most gratifying moments of my scientific career. I truly felt like a rockstar (at least in my teeny, tiny corner of the scientific universe :D)
<<

Jahangir

Master

Post Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:35 pm

Hi Mike,

I just want to express my gratitude to yourself for the amazing and outstanding work you've been doing over the last couple of years! Especially in maintaining an up-to-date catalog of nearly all the IMC/CyTOF/MIBI papers that have either been published or in preprint. I would find that truly overwhelming and, for myself at least, take your work for granted.

That being said, I do want to speak frankly - 90% of the papers I don't actually read and end up in my deleted bin. And the reason for this is that they aren't exactly relevant to my area of research or interest. But there are some papers which catch my eye here that I wouldn't normally find on pubmed, Gscholar or elsewhere. Hence why I voted to keep posting all, irrespective of date published.

Thank you once again,

Jahangir
<<

fpnaji

Participant

Post Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi Mike,
Great work.
I hope you get the recognition.
Faris
<<

antonio

Contributor

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:40 pm

Dear Mike,
I am just back from holidays and I didn't make it to answer the poll. It is an invaluable resource!!!
Greetings from Luxembourg
Antonio
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:33 pm

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who voted on the Literature postings. I'll keep doing the backfill.

Some people have reached out to me directly to say that they're still having some trouble with finding settings in their profile that will manage their email notifications. In most cases, these are users who are *not* interested in the Literature forum at all, and/or the backfilling.

After playing around a lot myself, my previous settings recommendations appear to be incomplete.

For those who want to shut off Literature notifications, here are some settings that I have tested and found to work.
1. User Control Panel/Board Preferences/Edit post notifications: Subscribe to all posts: switch to No. Press Submit.
2. User Control Panel/Overview/Manage subscriptions. For most people, this is probably blank (nothing listed). For those forums you're interested in, navigate to the subforum (eg, Literature, or CyTOF general discussion). Go to the bottom left, and click the link for "Subscribe forum". That specific forum should now appear in your Manage Subscriptions.
- note: if you include Literature here, you'll continue to get notifications. They'll just be "You are receiving this notification because you are watching the forum", rather than the ones from subscribing to all posts.

3. User Control Panel/Digests/Basics: Type of Digest Wanted: Switch to Daily/Weekly/Monthly as desired. Press Submit.
4. User Control Panel/Digests/Forums Selection: click or unclick anything here. This should only affect what gets included in your Daily/Weekly/Monthly digests, and should not get automatic messages as soon as the post appears.
- note: this will be greyed out and unclickable unless you create a Digest as in Step 3.

Hopefully this will help people find settings according to their interest level in the different subforums.

And if anyone comes up with easier/better settings, please post!

Mike
Next

Return to CyTOF general discussion