FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Storage of samples in CAS in an emergency

<<

ghowell

Participant

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 pm

Storage of samples in CAS in an emergency

Hi, I was wondering what the consencus was with samples storage and CAS. I had a torrid time today with a smaple that blocked the sample line continuously and ended up not being able to run all of the sample. I decided to pellet the remaining sample in CAS (I was using the WB so the sample had only seen PBS and CAS) and pop them in the fridge until tomorrow. Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this? I'd be interetsed in people' s oinions and alternative suggestions, thanks. Gareth
<<

dahern

Participant

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:29 am

Re: Storage of samples in CAS in an emergency

Hi Gareth,

I've left samples pelleted in CAS in emergencies and they've been fine the next day.

It might be worth adding some benzonase into your CAS for a wash step before trying to run them again, it might help clear up the blocking issue with this sample?

David
<<

EricHaas

Participant

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Storage of samples in CAS in an emergency

Hi all, (I know this may be too late for you Gareth) your best strategy, in this case, would be to pellet the samples, aspirate leaving as little residual volume as possible, and gently layering approx. 50uL of 1.6% PFA on top of the pellet (assuming the sample is in a 1.5mL Eppendorf tube. You should take care not to disturb the pellet and then leave it in the fridge overnight. I've had success with this method to preserve samples for up to a week in a pinch.

Whenever you can acquire again, just wash with CAS 1-2x and resuspend with beads, then acquire.

Eric

Return to CyTOF general discussion