FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Experience with the WB injector/CAS

<<

JamesW

Contributor

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 am

Experience with the WB injector/CAS

Hello everyone,

Im very interested to know peoples experience with the WB injector/ CAS combination.

We are finishing some longitudinal studies and thinking now might be a good time to switch from HT/Water to WB/CAS. However I was a bit concerned about the extra injector cleaning required. Our local Fluidigm support staff suggest that the injector does not need to be cleaned so often, maybe once a week at worst (about 20 hours of use for us currently) or maybe up to 2-3 weeks, but this is in sharp contrast to the official advice of 8 hours or so.

Its a key issue for us as our Helios maintenance technician is not full time. We did a brief test on some of our main staining panels and there was a small but consistent improvement in resolution with WB/CAS.

Of course we can find out by using it for a few weeks, but we have only one instrument so it will be quite awkward if we ask our users to switch and then switch back a few weeks later.

Best,
James
<<

rgrenfell

Contributor

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 am

Re: Experience with the WB injector/CAS

Hi James

I have 2 WB injectors on the go. After running for a day, I take out the injector and soak it in water overnight. The second one gets dried and goes in the instrument at the end of the day ready to startup the next day.
I tend to take the soaking one out of water in the afternoon, shake/dab as much water off, then a little propanol down the middle to help remove water. After a short while, its good to go into the instrument to be ready for the next day

I have noticed that there can be a little of what looks like the CAS precipitate building up around where the spray chamber connects to the injector. Quick wipe each morning solves that

Hope that helps
Richard
<<

Dominique

Participant

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 am

JamesW wrote:Hello everyone,

Im very interested to know peoples experience with the WB injector/ CAS combination.

We are finishing some longitudinal studies and thinking now might be a good time to switch from HT/Water to WB/CAS. However I was a bit concerned about the extra injector cleaning required. Our local Fluidigm support staff suggest that the injector does not need to be cleaned so often, maybe once a week at worst (about 20 hours of use for us currently) or maybe up to 2-3 weeks, but this is in sharp contrast to the official advice of 8 hours or so.

Its a key issue for us as our Helios maintenance technician is not full time. We did a brief test on some of our main staining panels and there was a small but consistent improvement in resolution with WB/CAS.

Of course we can find out by using it for a few weeks, but we have only one instrument so it will be quite awkward if we ask our users to switch and then switch back a few weeks later.

Best,
James

Hi James,

We are running samples on CAS with WB injectors for a while now. The easiest and fastest way we found to clean up the WB injectors is to use soft pipe cleaner with 10% Contrad.
Once rinsed extensively with water, they are dried out with compressed air. It takes 15 min. and they are ready for a new day of acquisition.
I would advice you to change the injector everyday when running CAS!

Best,

Dominique
<<

JamesW

Contributor

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 am

Dear Richard and Dominique,

Thanks for your input. Not sure how we will implement daily injector cleaning/swapping as our Helios is largely user operated.

Best,
James

Return to CyTOF general discussion