FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using SuperSampler with Helios

<<

mayanlevy

Participant

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:40 pm

Using SuperSampler with Helios

Hello!
We were wondering if it's possible to use the superSampler with Helios?
If yes - aside from the obvious replacing of tubing connectivity, where on the Helios software do we set this up? Does the rate of flow coninue to be 30ul/min?
Thanks a lot!
<<

nsigal

Participant

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Re: Using SuperSampler with Helios

Hi Maya,
yes, it's possible to use supersampler with Helios. You actually want to use it if you have problematic samples and we have A LOT of them so supersampler has been a life saver for us.
You can have all your questions about supersampler answered here: http://www.victorianairships.com. Or you can email directly to Zach Bjornson info@victorianairships.com who developed supersampler and has a company that makes them.

Couple things you need to know before you use supersampler:
1. you still have to use PSI otherwise you will not be able to acquire you sample as software will not record anything without PSI on. But you will be running your samples through supersampler and PSI will be loaded with water (or whatever you want to load it with like wash solution if you need to extra clean the PSI while sample is running through supersampler)
2. you have to tune with PSI. You cannot use supersamples to tune the instrument, it will be impossible to completely get rid of tuning solution and you will end up contaminating you samples.
3. Supersample has it's own application which you download from here: https://storage.googleapis.com/vamisc/S ... 20v2.1.exe. I believe it's the updated software. You can operate it with CYTOF2 or Helios, you just need to choose between 30 ul/min or 45 ul/min.

Here is summary of workflow.
You do your usual start up (plasma on, wait 20 min, start tune, you know the drill) using your PSI. Meanwhile you wake up supersampler (connect, initiate and run clean cycle/plus extra clean with wash solution or 3% nitric acid if supersampler was left dirty by previous user). After you are done with clean cycle on supersampler, simply put its sample line in water and run water through while you wait for Helios to finish the start up sequence.
After you pass tuning on Helios, disconnect PSI sample line from ground nut and connect supersampler sample line there. You are ready to start running your sample. Put PSI sample line into waste, put supersampler sample probe into your sample and start running supersampler through supersampler software. When you turn preview/record on on Helios software, your PSI will start running, but it will be running water into waste. Meanwhile your sample is running through supersampler right into Helios and events get acquired because PSI is on.

I think Zach has a detailed manual on supersampler but just remember: Helios does not know that supersampler exists and supersampler does not know about Helios, they are completely independent and this is why you need to operate both at the same time to be able to acquire your samples!

Ok, hope I didn't make things sound more complicated when it is in reality:)
Hope it helps, best
Natalia
<<

kanthsmiles

Participant

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi Maya
Besides what Natalia has detailed which is how we are using as well, I would also add that you need to connect the super sampler to the CyTOF’s computer using a USB-RS232 adapter and not to the autosampler port of the instrument because as I understand, it isn’t working there because its the same port (COM9) which Fluidigm has physically wired the X/Y to share with. Hence, you need to open the ‘Device Manager’ on your computer, check under ‘Ports’ which port is recognised when you connect using the USB-RS232 adapter. Then select the same port from the dropdown menu of the super sampler software when you open it, configure and initialise it. It then works.

We experienced problems until Zach pointed us to checking under the ‘ports' first and then using that port on the super sampler software. I guess this is how all the other CyTOFfers have done. We’ve just started to use the super sampler again.

Good luck!

Regards
Kanth
<<

mayanlevy

Participant

Post Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:09 pm

Thank you both very much!
<<

CRStevens

Master

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Thank you for the links Maya,

I was wondering how to change the settings from 45ul/min to 30ul/min. I keep getting a message about needing to be an administrator. Any idea how to deal with this?

-Chad Stevens
<<

BjornZ

Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks folks for posting the above info.

I followed up with Chad directly, but for others' reference: to change the config settings, you need to right-click on the Super Sampler software and pick "run as administrator." After changing the setting(s), be sure to close and re-open the Super Sampler software.

Happy to answer any further questions here or via the support email (info@victorianairships.com).

Best regards,
Zach

Return to CyTOF general discussion