FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Helios Reserve Parts

<<

PorterBCM

Participant

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Helios Reserve Parts

Does anyone have a list of parts and how many is wise to have in reserve at all times for a Helios system?
The last update I could find was from Mike in 2013 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131&p=390&hilit=nebulizer+injector#p390
We just got our Helios up and running so we want to buy some backups.

Paul Baylor College of Medicine.
<<

mleipold

Guru

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Re: Helios Reserve Parts

Hi Paul,

I would say that having a *reserve* of 1 of each part per instrument is typically sufficient; ideally the reserve is sufficient to keep you going until you can order another replacement (your "new reserve"). I'd say nebulizers are probably the only exception to this, as people have occasionally clogged more than one per run (to the point where it can't immediately be cleared and has to sit in acid or something overnight).

That's different than the *per-year* total number of parts, which would be reflective of your total costs for spare parts.

This total cost estimate is also complicated by the fact that the upper tier service contracts include at least one Consumable Parts kit per service contract year, which include things like glassware, Rf coils, and PSI silica lines. Technically, you'd have at least one spare per year without "extra" cost beyond your service contract.

I have attached our most recent parts cost estimate; we have service contracts with Consumables kits, so I did my best to estimate what Consumables parts we *did* use last year.

Mike
Attachments
CyTOF parts-non MAXPAR consumables-purchased FY19-for Cytoforum-b.xlsx
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
<<

jimbomahoney

Master

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 am

Re: Helios Reserve Parts

Hi Paul,

As a relatively new user myself, I can only echo Mike's detailed comments and add my own experience.

Essentially, having at least two of every part makes cleaning easier and also ensures minimum / no downtime if something goes wrong.

2 x sampler cones (1 in the machine, 1 spare)
2 x skimmer/reducer cones (we received one and bought another, which has made cleaning quicker / easier - one can be swapped in and tuned while the other is cleaned)
2 x torch
2 x injectors
2 (or 3) x sample line capillaries
3 x nebulisers
Pearl nebuliser cleaner - this was recommended elsewhere on the forum and I can highly recommend it. We had a lot of clogs due to the samples we were using, and this has been brilliant for rapidly / more easily cleaning the nebulisers.

Return to CyTOF general discussion